Napoleon obelisk
Montgenèvre

The Obelisk was erected to the glory of Napoleon and inaugurated on 12 April 1804
It is located at the exit of the village of Montgenèvre and its history is linked to the construction of the pass road.

The obelisk was blown up in 1835 by the Piedmontese and rebuilt by the architect Joseph Andreoli under King Louis Philippe. The stones used were cast and set with lime mortar and cement and bound together with iron spikes
The original marble commemorative plaques, also destroyed, were replaced by bronze plaques, engraved in four languages: French, Italian, Spanish and Latin, which read the tribute paid to Napoleon Bonaparte and Prefect Ladoucette

Facilities
  • Parking
  • Public WC
Services
  • Pets welcome
  • Tourist routes
  • Tour free of charge
  • Guided tours
Rates
Free access.
Dates
All year round, daily.
Obelisk Square
Route d'Italie
05100 Montgenèvre
Telephone : 04 92 21 52 52
Email: E-mail
Website : Website
Facebook page : Facebook
Spoken languages
  • English
  • French
  • Italian

You will also like