Hiking - The Geological Trail of Chenaillet
This is one of the must-see hikes in Montgenèvre. Internationally recognized, the Chenaillet geological trail takes you on a journey through time to discover ocean rocks over 155 million years old.
At the Green Collar, an impressive collection of lava pillows awaits you. A wooden platform in the second pin lets you see them up close.
Highest point: 2650 m (Mont Chenaillet)
Route type: loop
Distance: 14 km
Elevation +: 905 m
Elevation -: 905 m
1. Meet in front of the Durancia center. Take the path that runs alongside the building on the left (direction Espace multi-activity).
2. At the Durance bridge, continue straight ahead (direction Lac des Anges) along the tennis courts. At the white sign Source de la Durance, turn right. Follow the path and continue to a small bridge. Continue straight until you reach a track.
3. Follow the track on the left.
4. In the first bend of the track (to the left) take the path on your right which runs along the Durance est ascends towards Lac des Anges.
5. The path joins a wide mountain bike track, go up it (priority for mountain bikers).
6. Pass the chairlift and follow the ETM 4 signs.
7. At the yellow sign indicating Le Chenaillet, turn right. Walk a few meters on the track, then leave it to follow a path on your left that slowly deviates from it and leads to the entrance to Lac des Anges and the geodrome. Set off again in the direction of Chenaillet.
8. At the customs hut, turn left on the Geological Trail and take advantage of the explanatory panels all along the trail.
9. At the top, two orientation tables show you the surrounding mountains. Go back down towards the Collet vert, still following ETM 4.
10. At Collet vert, turn left.
11. At Sources de la Doire, you can make a return trip to Lac de Chausse (40 min.) Before resuming your journey to Montgenèvre center.
12. At the place called Sous la Plane, turn right towards Montgenèvre and continue to follow ETM 4.
13. At the bus station, turn left on the track along the golf course to return to the Chalmettes car park.
- Picnic area
- Public WC
- Car park
- Pets welcome
Updated on 05/08/2021 - Tourist Office of Montgenèvre -Suggest a modification