Hiking - The geological trail of Chenaillet via the Chalmettes Telemix and the Gondrans chairlift
Discover ancient ocean rocks thanks to this very well thought-out educational trail, on a world-renowned geological site.
At the top of Chenaillet, you will be rewarded with a magnificent 360-degree view. The little extra? Two orientation tables show you the surrounding mountains.
Highest point: 2650 m (Mont Chenaillet)
Route type: loop
Distance: 10.5 km
Duration: 4h (+ 15 min TMX and TS)
Elevation +: 460 m
Elevation -: 1195 m
1. Take the Chalmettes telemix.
2. On arrival, turn right and follow the track that goes down to the Gondrans plain.
3. At the first crossroads, turn left towards Lac des Ange and climb the small slope to reach the lake. Half-circle it to get to the geodrome.
4. From the geodrome, turn right and go back down to the Gondrans chairlift. Take the chairlift.
5. On arrival, turn left towards Cabane des Douaniers (towards the large wooden panels) to find a path along the ridge. The path descends to reach a track at the level of the buried fort of Gondran E (can be visited; information at the Tourist Office). Turn left on the track.
6. At the customs hut, go straight on the Geological Path and take advantage of the explanatory panels all along the path.
7. At the top, go back down towards the Collet vert, still following ETM 4.
8. At Collet vert, turn left. Be sure to observe the impressive collection of lava pillows that stand in front of you. A small wooden platform in the second pin lets you see them up close.
9. At Sources de la Doire, you can make a return trip to Lac de Chausse (40 min.) Before resuming your journey to Montgenèvre center.
10. At the place called Sous la Plane, turn right towards Montgenèvre and continue to follow ETM 4.
11. When you arrive at the bus station, turn left on the track alongside the golf course to return to the Chalmettes car park.
- Picnic area
- Public WC
- Car park
- Accessible via ski lift
Child: 12 €.
- Bank/credit card
Mis à jour le 04/05/2022 – Office de Tourisme de Montgenèvre – Suggest a modification